Great Turnout for 3rd Annual Family Fun 1 Run/Walk
Clermont County's "Roadmap to Health" Video
CAN Strategic Plan
Video: What is Clermont CAN?
The Clermont Coalition for Activity and Nutrition (Clermont CAN) was formed in 2008 in an effort to address the epidemic of obesity in Clermont County. The coalition is composed of representatives from all aspects of health, education, and government, as well as individuals who are concerned about the health of county residents and are working toward improving nutritional awareness and promoting physical activity. The Clermont County Health District is the coordinating agency for Clermont CAN. The mission of Clermont CAN is to create opportunities and promote action to support the coalition’s vision; “Be Active, Eat Smart”. CAN encourages people to make smart choices about activity and nutrition most of the time to lead to a healthy lifestyle.
Before the establishment of Clermont CAN, there was no local comprehensive health data that was specific to the residents of Clermont County. In 2009, a grant from the Office of Healthy Ohio made it possible to collect this important data. The Health District, on behalf of Clermont CAN, partnered with Wright State University to conduct a community health assessment including adults and youth. The data from the Health Assessments as well as other data show that Clermont County residents have a high rate of unhealthy behaviors. Based on reported height and weight measurements of survey respondents, 67% of the adult residents were considered overweight or obese. There are also high rates of smoking, 27.6%, and 33.4% of adults do not get any physical activity. These rates are higher than state and national rates.
Clermont CAN reviewed the data and recognized the opportunities to help improve the health of Clermont County residents. The growing epidemic of obesity, inadequate physical activity levels, the lack of proper nutrition, and smoking are all health issues that need to be addressed to reduce the chronic diseases which are associated with these behaviors. Clermont CAN wants to ensure that all residents have access to information to enable them to make healthier choices.
To help Clermont County residents become active, eat smart and make healthy choices, Clermont CAN has established the following objectives:
- Increase the percentage of Clermont County residents who engage in physical activity.
- Decrease the rate of overweight/obese residents.
- Decrease the smoking rate of Clermont County residents.
- Increase resources dedicated to promoting health lifestyles.
Some accomplishments to date include:
- Updating Places and Spaces, a publication with over 60 locations around the county that promote physical activity.
- Implementation of the “I am Moving, I am Learning” curriculum in all Head Start classrooms in the county.
- Assistance with trail markings and benches for the Williamsburg Batavia Hike/Bike Trail.
- Supporting improvements to the O’Bannon Creek Nature Trail behind Goshen High School.
- Host of the 2011 and 2012 Family Fun 1 Run/Walk.
Clermont CAN meets at the Clermont County Health District and everyone interested is invited to attend. The 2013 meeting schedule is as follows:
05/21/2013 2:00-3:00 pm
06/12/2013 2:00-3:00 pm
07/10/2013 2:00-3:00 pm
08/07/2013 2:00-3:00 pm
09/10/2013 2:00-3:00 pm
For more information please contact us.